Define Product Metrics
Dimension is a resource used with Pricing Plan and Sale Deals. A dimension can be associated with multiple Offerings. Dimension describes how product usage occurs, can be measured, tracked, and charged. Some of the common SaaS Dimensions are: compute time, data consumption, API requests, users, or transaction volume.
By associating a Dimension with multiple Offerings, the same billing dimension can be reused without redundant information. For example, a SaaS business has a billing dimension of $1 per 1,000 API requests. The same billing Dimension can be associated with a Public Offering called Enterprise Plan as well as a Private Offering similar to Enterprise Plan but with additional discounts, and the Private Offering is created specific customer's sales deal.
These properties are configurable for a Dimension.
- Dimension Name Display name of a Dimension. It shows up in dashboard, returned by API, and appear on SaaS customer invoice. Required.
- Consumption Unit Unit of tracking usage of the Dimension. Required.
- Count-based The usage doesn't necessarily have a unit. Such as API requests is tracked as X API requests.
- Time-based The usage is tracked in the matter of time. Paigo supports second, minute and hour and day.
- Data-based The usage is tracked in the matter of data size. Paigo supports gigabyte, megabyte, kilobyte, and byte.
- Minimum Usage Increment The combination of Consumption Units that is tracked for billing. As an example, if 1 Hour consumption is specified as the Minimum Consumption Unit, then 1 Hour and 5 Minutes consumption may be calculated as 1 Hour of Consumption or 2 Hour of Consumption depending on the Rounding algorithm. Another example is 1,000 API calls.
- Rounding The algorithm used to calculate the total number of Minimum Consumption Units. Paigo supports ceiling and floor. Ceiling algorithm rounds up and floor algorithm rounds down. As an example, if 1 Hour consumption is specified as the Minimum Consumption Unit, then 1 Hour and 5 Minutes consumption is calculated as 1 Hour of Consumption with floor algorithm or 2 Hour of Consumption with ceiling algorithm.
- Usage Entitlement Used with Subscription Tier Offering type. SaaS customers who subscribe to a Subscription Tier are entitled to use the amount of product in the current Dimension up to the value specified in this property. For example, a Subscription Tier may entitle subscribers to use up to 1,000,000 API requests.
- Allow Overage Used with Subscription Tier Offering type. When the Usage Entitlement is specified, this property allows the usage to go beyond the limit with additional pay-as-you-go charges.
- Consumption Price For Usage-based Plan, this property specifies the unit price of usage. For Subscription Tier, this property specifies the unit price of overage usage. A Usage Entitlement must be specified and Allow Overage must be true in order to have Consumption Price take effect.
- Aggregation Interval The time period that raw usage data will be aggregated together using Aggregation Method to calculate the bill. For example, an aggregation interval may be 1 hour so that all of the usage amount in an hour is added together.
- Aggregation Method The algorithm to aggregate multiple raw usage data points into one aggregated data point.
Measurement specifies how a Dimension is measured and collected by Paigo. Measurement is an optional property of Dimension. See Measure and Collect Usage Data at Scale for more details.